How many times have you been asked, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”, and didn’t know how to respond? This question is common and can pop up in interviews, romantic relationships or even in times of introspection. It’s challenging to answer because it seems quite daunting and overwhelming to think about the future.
The main purpose of the question is to determine your ambitions in life. Ambitions are important because they motivate you to grow in various aspects of life and give you a sense of direction. You should probably answer by describing the best possible version of your future self. However, this person does not exist yet so here are a few steps to help guide you along the way.
1. Educate yourself – knowledge is power! The more you research and upskill yourself, the broader your horizons will become. You will be able to make well-informed decisions. (E.g. Visit a library, get advice from elders, visit data free sites).
2. Set Goals – Once you are satisfied with your research, start setting future goals and realistic deadlines. Remember that Rome was not built in one day, so allow yourself enough time to achieve this.
3. Find a mentor – Ask for help because there are people willing to assist you. You need to find someone that resembles who you would like to become (e.g. Entrepreneur, pastor or parent). This person can offer you reliable guidance and advice when problems arise.
4. Support system – You need a good circle of family and friends you can trust and share your vision with. You can rely on them to encourage you when you hit a bump in the road and remind you why you need to keep going.
5. Balance – Ever heard the saying, too much of a good thing can be bad? Well it’s true. Working hard to achieve your goals is important but so is down time. You must be able to allow yourself to let your hair down and have fun! Get yourself a hobby.
6. Prioritize – List what is important to you. This will help make difficult decisions justifiable and sacrifices worthwhile. (E.g. God, family, work respectively).
7. Visualise – Everyone has a dream. This is the process of using your mind to attain it. Imagination helps the vision materialise. Take it a step further and create a vision board.
The person you wish to become is waiting for you. Don’t let them down. You are the master of your own universe. Well wishes for the journey ahead! May it be a resilient one!
Tell us: What are your thoughts about this life advice?