Corn starch (maizena)
Light fittings with electrical cord
1. Make a glue-and-starch mixture (2 parts glue; 2 parts corn starch; one part water) in a bowl. The measurements don’t have to be exact – you’re aiming for a paintable mixture. Mix with a spoon. You can make a big batch or mix smaller batches as you go.
2. Blow up the balloons and tie them tightly.
3. Dip the twine in the glue mixture then wrap the balloon with it in a criss-cross fashion. It’s a bit slippery to begin with but it becomes easier once you get the hang of it.
4. Once the balloon is wrapped to your liking, it can be densely covered or have bigger spaces in between. Reposition the twine at the base of the balloon to make a gap big enough for a light bulb to fit through.
5. Use a paintbrush to paint some of the mixture over the twine.
6. Hang the balloon up to dry out for 24 hours.
7. Once the twine has dried completely, pierce the balloon with a pin. Remove the balloon from the inside of the pendant and any ‘skin’ that has formed between the twine.
8. Insert the light fitting through the base of your pendant. Screw in the light bulb (use an energy-saving bulb that stays cool, posing no fire risk to the twine cover). Hang up the pendant.
Tell us: Did you find this helpful?