• Bonding is the relationship you create with your baby. It is important because it helps the baby grow stronger and healthier.
• During pregnancy, you have intimate contact with the baby: this is when you can start bonding.
• Bonding can also happen after childbirth through physical touch, talking, smiling, making eye contact and through play with your baby.
• Sometimes the bond does not develop naturally as one takes care of a baby. If you find bonding difficult, talk to a counsellor at the clinic or in the community, so you can get to understand your feelings.
• Bonding is also important for you: it helps you feel better about yourself as a mother, and helps you persevere though the tough times.
Bonding is the relationship you create with your baby. It can develop during pregnancy or after giving birth.