I am only 17 years old, but I think that, if I were to tell you about my lifeโ€™s struggles, you would think I deserved a memoir. But this time, Iโ€™ll let you in on one of my “journeys”, and please keep this a secret, no one must know.


It was a day like no other. The sun was creeping up on the mountain, and the stream was flowing, making its gentle sound like it always did. Everything was how it always was. But, after a while, I woke up on my soft bed, and after looking around, I saw no stream and no mountains, just a pile of yesterday’s clothes on the rocking chair that my boyfriend had made for me when he found out I was pregnant.

“Wow, just wow. I’m crazy,” I thought to myself as I replayed the dream over and over and over again in my head. I had been having the same dream for quite some time, and I thought I needed to see a psychiatrist because it felt very real to me.

“Baby!” I called out to my live-in-boyfriend, assuming he was in the kitchen because that was his happy place whenever he was not with me. I lived with him because my parents had taken jobs in Mars to verify how the living conditions were for humans move there. Living in 1302 was not child’s play.

When I heard no response from my boyfriend, I walked out of my room, and the bed made its self, which was one of the perks of technology. I then walked out and, when I got to the kitchen, I saw him lying there in a pool of blood, and the robot dog was barking with its tail high with blood next to him.

“Coco, stop barking, what did you do?” I asked, then I ran to Miles, my boyfriend. I was hyperventilating when I got to him, so I instantly went into labour, which was a month prior to my due date, and the labour contraction pains were piercing.

“Oh no, oh hell no. Coco, go take the car out the garage,โ€ I said, and Coco ran out of the room.

Once the dog was gone, I tried calming myself down, but seeing Miles dead on the floor did not make things easier for me. I then tried getting myself to the garage, but I only managed to get halfway through the kitchen, and there was no phone near, so I wondered why technology would abandon me when I needed it the most.

After some time, I decided to hang myself because I could not take it anymore and I had nothing to live for.

After making the decision, I put a rope around my neck, kicked the chair, then struggled a bit and fell asleep, I think. Two hours later, my neighbour, Rob, who was a robot, came through the door with Coco and took me to the hospital. I was pronounced dead on arrival, but my daughter survived. Yes, I know, she was the most beautiful half-human half-robot angel. Miles was a robot, and I still do not know what killed him.


Tell us: What do you think of this story?