Success at last! Your job interview went well and you’ve been offered a job, which you’ve accepted. But now your new employer asks you for your tax number and you’ve no idea what to do! Don’t worry help is here… follow this step-by-step guide on how to register as a taxpayer.

1. The only way to register as a taxpayer is to visit a SARS branch where the staff will help you to register.

2. Before you go to the branch, make sure you have ALL the required information. You will need to provide SARS with proof of the following: your identity; your address; and, your banking details.

Here are the items that you can use for each:

Proof of Identity
You must take certified or uncertified copies as well as the original identification of ONE of the following:
• a valid ID document (both the green barcoded ID book or the smart ID card)
• driving licence
• passport
• temporary ID
• asylum seekers certificate or permit

If you are a minor (i.e. under the age of 18) you must take:
• a certified or uncertified copy of your birth certificate
• a copy of one of your parent/guardian’s IDs (NB: If you do not have a parent who is alive, or a guardian, then you can take the death certificate of one of your parents.)

Proof of Address
You need to take ONE of the following documents that shows your proof of address. (either initials and surname or first name and surname) and the physical address:

• Utility bill (eg. a rates or electricity bill. This must be less than 3 months old)
• Educational institution account (e.g. an bill from your college or school. This must be less than 3 months old)
• Medical aid statement (less than 3 months old)
• Mortgage statement (less than 6 months old)
• Telephone account (less than 3 months old)
• SABC TV licence (less than 1 year old)
• Retail account (i.e. Edgars, Foschini) (less than 3 months old)
• Motor vehicle licence document (less than 1 year old)
• Court order or subpoena (less than 3 months old)
• Traffic fine (less than 3 months old)
• Documentation relating to UIF or pension pay-out (less than 3 months old)
• Life assurance document (less than 1 year old)
• Short-term insurance document (less than 1 year old)
• Health insurance document (less than 1 year old)
• Funeral policy document (less than 1 year old)
• Investment statement from share, portfolio or unit trust (less than 1 year old)

NB: If you DON’T have proof of address in your OWN name but in someone else’s then you need to complete a form called: Confirmation of Entity Residential/Business Address (CRA01).

Please note that the proof of address of the third party (the person whose name appears on the account/document) must be attached to the CRA01 form.

Also, if you live in an area where municipal accounts are not issued, and you don’t have another proof of address, then you will need to get a letter from the Chief or Councillor in the area you live or you must ask them to complete the CRA01 form. NB: If this is the case then you do not need to provide any additional documentation apart from the letter/CRA01 form. Find the form HERE.

Proof of Bank Details
You must take an original letter from the bank that is not older than one month, confirming your legal name, account number, account type, branch code and date on which the account was opened. If you go to your bank, they will provide you with this letter. If you are registered with online banking, some banks allow you to download a letter or to have it emailed to you.

Alternatively, you can take an original bank statement or ATM-generated statement that is not more than three months old and which confirms the same information – your legal name, account number, account type, branch code and date on which the account was opened.

If you are married or have a life partner and you share the same bank account then you can choose to use this account. However, for this you will need to supply your marriage certificate, or in the case of a life partner, you would need to go to the police station to get an affidavit that states that you and your life partner share the same bank account.

3. Go to your local SARS office and let the staff help you to register.

Once you are registered and have a tax number you will be able to then apply for eFiling. This is a free and easy method of dealing with SARS using a computer or device connected to the Internet.

If you’d like more official information on registering as a taxpayer, visit the SARS site HERE.

So, don’t waste time! Get yourself registered and good luck with the new job!


Tell us: Did you find this information useful? Have you registered as a taxpayer?