GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN – WRITE TO WIN!
This haiku competition is open to girls and young women and those who identify as women between the ages of 13 and 25.
You need to live in SA, or anywhere in Africa that Paypal is available.
Two prizes of R1000 and swag bags up for grabs – one for the junior winner (between 13 and 18) and one for the senior winner (19-25).
The haiku needs to start with: She is…
(the poem can be about you, or a woman you know)
Please also give it your own unique title.
What is a haiku?
A haiku is a short poem made up of three lines that do not rhyme.
It has a total of 17 syllables: 5 syllables in the first line, 7 syllables in the second line, and 5 syllables in the third line (5-7-5).
Remember, a syllable is like a beat – so the word ‘haiku’ has two syllables (hai-ku) and the word syllable has three (syll-a-ble). Clap it out if you need to!
Here are two examples:
She is washing clothes (5 syllables)
Fetching her little brother (7 syllables)
And dreaming big dreams (5 syallables)
she is like the moon
the universe bows to her
may she know her worth
* Your poem will be disqualified if it does not fit the haiku format.
To enter, please read the terms and conditions and then click on the button below to submit your details and your poem.
Terms and Conditions
- The Promoter of this competition is The FunDza Literacy Trust (FunDza) with the registration number IT814/2011.
- Entrants to this competition agree to abide by these Terms and Conditions.
- To qualify as an entrant into this competition you must:
*be between the ages of 13 (thirteen) years and 25 (twenty-five) years
*Entries will only be accepted from anyone that identifies as a girl/womxn
* Only entires written in English will be accepted
- There are two age categories: Junior (13-18 years old) and Senior (19-25 years old)
- Entrants below the age of 18 years must have the consent of a parent/guardian/competent person in order to participate.
- Only poems that conform to the requirements of a haiku (in terms of the number of syllables per line) will be considered valid entry.
- Entrants may only submit their own original and previously unpublished work.FunDza may disqualify any entry it deems unoriginal or that contains plagiarised text.
- Only one entry is allowed per person. Entries submitted on behalf of someone else will not be considered and joint submissions are not allowed. Incomplete, illegible, misdirected or late entries will not be considered. The first complete entry submitted by any entrant will be deemed to be the valid entry.
- The competition begins on 1 August 2022 and ends on 31 August 2022. All entries must be received by 23:59 (SAST) on 31 August 2022. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid.
- No late entries will be accepted.
- FunDza judges will select the TWO winners for the competition.The judges decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be notified after 15 September 2022 but before 20th September 2022
- Winners will be notified by telephone, SMS or email. If a winner DOES NOT respond within a 24-hour period, they will forfeit their prize, and the Promoter will choose the next poem in line to win.
- Winners will be announced publicly by 25th September 2022 Each of the two winners will receive R1000(or the equivalent value in another currency) and a swag bag
- The prize is not transferable and, if not taken up for any reason, may be forfeited or be the subject of a separate draw or be allocated at the Promoter’s discretion to another winner.
- Winners may be announced on the FunDza mobi site, FreeBasics app, Moya Messenger app, FunDzApp (FunDza’s Android app), Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or any other ‘FunDza’ space.
- Entrants agree that if they are selected as a winner, they will supply FunDza with a recent photograph and other personal information about themselves as required for publicity purposes and further consent to such photograph and personal information being published in the public domain. Winners may ask us, in writing, to remove their name or refuse to take part in any publicity. Winners under the age of 18 will need to submit a guardian’s contact number for consent purposes.
- This competition is not open to any director, partner, employee, of the Promoter, or members of their immediate family.
- The Promoter will not be held liable for any technical failure that may cause your entry not to be submitted or where the Promoter does not receive your response required in terms of point 9 above.
- The Promoter, its directors, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors assume no liability whatsoever for any indirect or consequential loss or damage arising from an entrant’s participation in this promotional competition or for any loss or damage, howsoever arising (whether arising from negligence or otherwise). The prize winner indemnifies the Promoter for any loss, damage, harm or injury (whether arising from negligence or otherwise) that may be made against the Promoter by any third party (including but not limited to suppliers or any other third parties) in connection with this promotional competition and the accompanying terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions can only be reasonably changed (or superseded) by us on a written revision to these terms and conditions posted on this competition page.
- The Promoter reserves the right to terminate this competition immediately and without notice. In the event of such termination, all entrants agree to waive any rights that they may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that they will have no recourse against the Promoter
- South African laws govern this competition.
- Entrants understand and agree that in order to offer the competition, the Promoter must collect and use personal information about them.
- By entering the competition, entrants are providing personal information via surveys. These will be analysed for research purposes and all results will be aggregated and de-identified.
- In the event of a dispute on any aspect of this competition or the terms and conditions hereof, the decision of the Promoter will be final and binding on all aspects of this competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Any violation or attempt to violate any of the terms and conditions by an entrant will result in the immediate disqualification of the entrant.
- All information relating to this competition and published on any promotional material will form part of the terms and conditions of entry.
- Queries regarding the competition can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By participating in this course competition, the entrant acknowledges that they have read and understood these terms and agree with them.
- Any person who has won a Fundza competition in the last six months is disqualified from entering the competition.