A blog is a platform – it can be an online journal or informational website – where anyone can create and publish their own content. A blog can focus on any topic one finds interesting: hobbies, creative writing, images, films, books, lifestyle, travel, or movies. If you have an email address, starting is simple and anyone can do it in these easy steps:
1. Choose the right online platform for your blog
You can choose from the most popular blog platforms: WordPress, Blogger or Tumblr. I would preferably use WordPress as it as it is free, easy to use, and professional. It is the most widely used blogging platform internationally.
2. Choose a name for your blog
Choosing a name for your blog doesn’t have to be complicated. You can choose a name that describes what your blog will be about.
3. Create an account with your chosen platform
You will be required to create an account by using your email address, username and creating a password. Follow the easy steps they give you and you’ll be ready in no time. Remember to choose a unique password that you can remember but which won’t be easy for others to guess.
4. Design your blog
Choosing the style and layout of your blog is fun. This will follow what the nature of your blog is. Will it be picture or word based? What fonts and colour themes suit the blog best? Design it and customise it to your liking, keeping in mind what your content is going to be.
5. Link it to your social media
Blogs are all about exposure and this will make it easy for you to share your blog with your friends and family. You can spread the word quicker and people can start following and keeping up with your blog posts.
Here are some handy tips to keep in mind:
• Make sure your ‘about’ page is simple and clear. Write a short bio about who you are and what the blog is about. This will tell reader what to expect from your content.
• Create clear categories – these are usually located on the right-hand side of the blog. Readers can click to a category or topic they find interesting, rather than sifting through all of your blog posts. Help your readers out by making sure your blog is easy to navigate.
• Have a detailed ‘contact’ page with all your social media handles. If someone reads your blog and would like to get in touch with you, they should be able to find your contact information easily.
• Your blogs must reflect your content. For example, if your blog is about food, don’t have pictures and designs of cars.
• Be creative with your blog headlines/titles. Like newspapers, these will capture the attention of the reader.
• Always be unique, captivating and correct. Avoid using big complicated words and long sentences. Keep your reader in mind. Remember that less strain on the eye is ideal and too many complicated words may tire the reader and they will lose interest.
• Keep it attractive. Think about your colour palette and what type of pictures work best. But be careful not use too many pictures and videos, you want people to actually read your content.
With all this in your corner, you are now ready to start your blog today!
Tell us: Was this helpful? Will you be starting your blog soon? Do you read other people’s blogs?