Eek! Your aunt is coming to town and you want to impress her with something good to eat but you don’t have a lot of ingredients or time. Here’s just the thing: a recipe for some yummy flapjacks that will sweeten your – and her – day!
Before you start, make sure you have: a mixing bowl, a mixing spoon, a frying pan and a hot plate or stove top. Also check that you have all the ingredients in your cupboards… otherwise you may need to run to the store to stock up first!
This recipe will make you 10 to 12 flapjacks. So get ready for your feast!
Ingredients (for 10 – 12 flapjacks) :
1 cup self-raising flour (or 1 cup normal flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder)
1 pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of milk
3 tablespoons of oil (plus extra for frying)
1. Put the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
2. In another bowl beat the egg (you can do this with a fork or a whisk or a blender), adding in the milk and oil until well blended
3. Pour egg mixture into the dry ingredients and beat until it has combined.
4. The mixture will be lumpy but that is fine.
5. Let it stand for 20 minutes. If you have a fridge, put it in there as it is better if the batter is cool.
6. Switch the stove on and put it on medium heat.
7. Put a small amount of oil in a pan to cover the bottom.
8. Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and pour it into the pan.
9. Fry for two minutes or until bubbles form on surface, then flip and fry for two minutes on the other side until nicely brown.
This will make one yummy flapjack! Don’t stop there… keep on going till the batter is all finished.
Then it’s time to serve.
Here are some ideas for toppings: butter and jam, or honey, or cream, or some cheese… Or you can just eat them plain too! Enjoy!
Tell us: If you try this recipe please let us know how your flapjacks turn out and if you have tips for others too.