So, you’re full of ideas about different things and you want to share them with others. Perhaps you’re a whizz at creating fantastical hairstyles or you think you can help people learn to play the guitar or you’re brilliant in the kitchen and want to share your latest recipes… How about doing it through a vlog? You may say, what’s a vlog?!
Well, a vlog is a blog but it’s one that’s created in video format. In order to create a vlog, you will need the following:
1. A video camera – you can use the video camera on your smartphone or tablet, if you have one.
2. A microphone for good sound quality (optional).
3. Editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro or others similar to this (you can Google to find your best option).
4. A YouTube or Vimeo account to upload your videos and create your vlog.
Step 1: Planning
In order to create a successful vlog, planning is essential. Write down an outline of the type of information you would want to deliver through your vlog and then what the different episodes of your vlog would be about. They could cover a specific event, or deliver information on a particular topic or tell a story. Remember that you don’t have to stick religiously to the plan – if something better or more interesting comes up, it isn’t an issue to make a shift or change. But the plan does mean that you know where you are going with your vlog.
Step 2: Introduction and ending
Think about how you would like to introduce yourself or your vlog, and think about how you would like it to end. Make sure that the intro and ending are unique and memorable to keep viewers coming back for more.
Step 3: Setting
Think about where you will be filming, what the setting will be. Make sure that the background is appropriate and works well with your vlog as this sets the tone for your theme. For instance, if you are doing a vlog about cooking, then your kitchen may provide the best setting. If, however, you’re teaching people guitar chords then perhaps setting it up so that you can sit on your bed and be filmed is good too. If you’re creating a vlog about the latest books then a bookshelf as a background could work well. Pretty much anywhere is good – even inside a car – but it should be appropriate to your vlog. Remember too that you can always play around with concepts in the future but as a start, it is always wise to stick to a consistent image of yourself.
Step 4: Lighting
Lighting is very important as you want to make sure that the viewers can see the images easily. When you’re filming, always make sure the light is behind the camera. Too much light will easily destroy the picture and make it difficult for anyone to see the visuals on screen.
Step 5: Vlog
Remember your viewer. Don’t make a long vlog that is a picture of you talking to the camera for 10 minutes. This could bore your viewers and you don’t want 0 subscribers, now do you? Always be yourself. Don’t try to act out a different persona or rehearse lines word for word, this will very quickly be obvious to your viewers.
Step 6: Editing
There are various types of editing software available for free. These allow you to cut sequences and change settings instantly to make your vlog look good. Just like in the movies, scenes are cut and the settings change along with the content. This is to enhance the viewing experience and keeps your audience attentive and interested.
Step 7: Upload your vlog
Create a YouTube or Vimeo account and upload your vlog to that. Both platforms give easy step-by-step instructions on how to upload content and in what format the content needs to be to be easily viewed. If you have problems, contact your local library. Many of them offer free wifi (which can help you with the data in order to upload your vlog) and some of the librarian staff may be tech-savvy too and keen to help.
Step 8: Market your vlog
Don’t forget that you will also need to market your blog. Here are some tips to ensure that you do gain a viewership:
• Use an eye-catching thumbnail (a very short or concise description or summary) of your vlog.
• Fill your video’s description box with contact information, keywords, and tags.
• Post your vlog on social media and particularly make the use of YouTube as it is the largest video sharing platform in the world.
• Experiment with other video platforms such as Vimeo.
• Talk about your vlog on social media via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. People will only find you if they can see you…
• Last but not least, be consistent, don’t make a vlog and then disappear for weeks or months on end. A successful vlog with an expanding viewership requires dedication and consistent effort.
Good luck! And, let us know how you get along 😉
Tell us: Are you keen to start vlogging? What topic would you like to vlog about?