It is vital that all people have access to food and social security. Find out more below.

How to apply for the R350 Unemployment Social Grant
1. Contact the SASSA customer care tollfree number 0800 601011
2. Send an email to

Who can claim for Social Relief of Distress
1. Households without an income
2. Child-headed households
3. Households where the sole breadwinner is deceased
4. Recipients of temporary disability grants that lapsed in March
5. Anyone who is unable to work due to a medical condition
6. Those who are experiencing extreme hardship during the state of disaster

How to apply for Social Relief of Distress
Access to food and food parcels is a hot topic under lockdown as many people are hungry. President Ramaphosa announced on 21 April that SASSA will be rolling out a technology solution to deliver ‘food assistance’ to people through food vouchers. However, it will take some time to get this working. In the interim, the Department of Social Development in collaboration with the Solidarity Fund and various nonprofit organisations is working to deliver food parcels to different areas around the country. To apply for social relief of distress please dial 0800 60 10 11 toll free and select option 3.

FunDza has been able to find some contacts for food parcels in the Eastern Cape. These numbers are:
Alfred Nzo: Mrs Mgilane – 0798738006
Amathole: Mr Langa – 0663074612
Buffalo City: Mrs Siziba – 0825771804
Chris Hani: Ms Mpondwana – 08324115812
Joe Gqabi: Ms Mngini – 0824115698
Nelson Mandela: Mr Ngqabayi – 0828518491
OR Tambo: Ms Titus – 0823368071