How many times have you been asked, “”where do you see yourself in the next five years?” and didn’t know how to respond?
This question is both common and serious, and it can pop up during interviews, relationships or even times of introspection. It’s challenging to answer, because it seems quite daunting.
The main purpose of the question is to determine your ambitions in life. Ambitions are important because they motivate you to grow in various aspects of life and give you a sense of direction. You should probably answer it by describing the best possible version of your future self. However, this person does not exist yet, so how do you become him/her?
1. Educate yourself – because knowledge is power! The more you research and upskill yourself, the broader your horizon becomes. You will be able to make well-informed decisions. For example, visit a library, get advice from elders, and visit data free sites.
2. Set goals – once you are satisfied with your research, start setting future goals and realistic deadlines. Remember, Rome was not built in a day, so allow yourself enough time to achieve this.
3. Find a mentor – ask for help because there are people willing to assist you. You need to find someone that resembles who you would like to become, an entrepreneur, pastor or parent. This person can offer you reliable guidance and advice when problems arise.
4. Find a support system – you need a good circle of family and friends you can trust and share your vision with. You can rely on them to encourage you when you hit a bump on the road and remind you why you need to keep going.
5. Find a balance – have ever heard the saying “too much of a good thing can be bad?” Well, it’s true. Working hard to achieve your goals is important, but so is down time. You must be able to allow yourself to let your hair down and have fun! Get yourself a hobby.
6. Prioritize – list what is important to you. This will help make difficult decisions feel justifiable and sacrifices worthwhile. For example, God, family, work respectively.
7. Visualize – everyone has a dream, and this is the process of using your mind to attain it. Imagination helps the vision materialize. You can even take it a step further and create a vision board.
The person you wish to become is waiting for you, so don’t let them down. You are the master of your own universe. Well wishes for the journey ahead and may it be a resilient one!
Tell us: What did you learn from this piece?