We all have something that is special to us – it could be something someone gave you, or that you found or saved up for. These special things come with special memories and stories attached…
FunDza wants to hear and share your story about something that is special to you! Not only that – FunDza wants you to send us a photograph of this special something you write about to share with readers.
Enter the ‘Something Special’ writing competition NOW by sending in your 400-500 word essay about something that is special to you. NB: It should be a some THING, not a some ONE!!!
Cash prizes are up for grabs!
* R2,000 in cash for two prize winners and a goodie bag – one in “Junior” age category (13-20 years) and one in the “Senior” age category (21-30 years).
* R500 and a goodie bag for two runners-up in each age category, i.e. two in the “Junior” age category (13-20 years) and two in the “Senior” age category (21-30 years).
To enter the competition:
1. Write 400 – 500 word essay about why the thing you have chosen is special to you. How did it come into your life and what does it mean to you?
2. Take a photograph of the ‘something special’ you have chosen (NB: It should be an object, not a person).
3. Send it to us via email to email@example.com (using the subject line: “Something Special”) or via this online form HERE (NB: This takes you OFF the fundza.mobi site).
4. You MUST include the following information with your entry (incomplete submissions will be disqualified):
• Your full name
• Your date of birth
• Your age category
• Your telephone number
• Your email address (if you have one)
• Your country of residence
• The essay – with your own unique title
• The picture of your object (acceptable file types: jpg, png, gif)
5. You MUST submit your entry BEFORE the closing date: MIDNIGHT on Friday 5 April 2019. See the full Terms and Conditions below.
* The judges will be looking for a well-structured story with a clear beginning (where you set the scene), and a clear picture of what is happening in your story (write as if you are painting a picture for the reader, by including details such as sights and sounds).
* They’ll also want to see a unique and catchy title for your story!
* If there are too many grammar, spelling or punctuation errors, it will be hard for the judges to understand and enjoy your story, so check your work carefully.
* If your entry is longer than 600 words, it will count against you.
* This competition is only open to people between the ages of 13 and 30 years, who are living in Africa.
BE INSPIRED! Read Lukhanyo Matshebelele’s story about something special to him:
Terms and Conditions:
1. The competition is only open to individuals between the ages of 13 and 30 who live on the African continent.
2. Entrants may only submit ONE essay and ONE photograph (NB: The picture of something special should be an object, and not a person).
3. Entrants may only submit their own original and previously unpublished work.
4. Only essays submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or that are submitted via our online form (available here) will be considered valid entries for the competition. If submitting via email, the subject line should be: Something Special.
5. Only essays that are submitted with ALL the required information (name, date of birth, telephone number, email address (if the entrant has one), country of residence, and the age category, as well as the essay and the photograph) will be considered a valid entry to the competition.
6. Only essays that are written in English and that comply with the instructions will be considered a valid entry to the competition.
7. Only essays submitted before the closing date – midnight on Friday 5 April 2019 – will be considered valid competition entries.
8. FunDza reserves the right to publish any and all entries on its mobi site, FreeBasics app, Android app, Facebook pages, Twitter feed, WhatsApp broadcasts, or any other ‘FunDza’ space, including in any print publication that it produces or has produced for it. This includes FunDza anthologies and/or corporate publications such as the Annual Report.
9. The judges will select TWO winners for the competition: one in the “Junior” age category (for individuals aged 13 to 20 years); and one in the “Senior” age category (for
individuals aged 21 to 30 years).
10. The judges will select FOUR runners-up for the competition: two in the “Junior” age category (for individuals aged 13 to 20 years); and two in the “Senior” age category (for individuals aged 21 to 30 years).
11. The winner in each age category will receive a cash prize of R2,000 (or, if the winner lives in another African country, then he/she will receive the equivalent amount in the local currency). If the winners reside in South Africa they will receive a FunDza hamper.
12. The runners-up in each age category will receive a cash prize of R500 (or, if the winner lives in another African country, then he/she will receive the equivalent amount in the local currency). If the runners-up reside in South Africa they will receive a FunDza hamper.
13. The TWO winners and FOUR runners-up will be announced before 30 April 2019.
14. Winners and runners-up will be notified by telephone, SMS or email. If a winner does not respond within a 24-hour period, they will forfeit their prize, and FunDza will select a new winner.
15. Winners and runners-up may be announced on the FunDza mobi site, FreeBasics app, Android app, Facebook page, Twitter or any other ‘FunDza’ space.
16. Competition entrants agree that if they are selected as a winner or as a runner-up, they will supply FunDza with a recent photograph and other information about themselves as required for publicity purposes. Winners and runners-up, who do not do so, will forfeit their prize.
17. Employees of FunDza – or members of their families – are disqualified from entering the competition.
18. By taking part in this competition, entrants agree to not hold FunDza liable for any losses, harm, damages, injury, claims or actions related to the competition.
19. These rules can only be reasonably changed (or superseded) by us on a written revision to these rules posted on this competition page.
20. South African laws govern this competition.
21. Entrants understand and agree that in order to offer the competition, FunDza must collect and use personal information about them.
22. The competition may be terminated immediately and without notice. If this happens, entrants will not have any claim against FunDza, because of this.
23. The judges’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
24. Queries regarding the competition can be directed to email@example.com.
25. By participating in this competition, the entrant agrees to these terms and conditions.