The #Slam4urLife Competition gives South Africa’s youth an opportunity to creatively respond to our current situation: living in a world with COVID-19 and the effect that the pandemic is having on our lives.
SA youth can send in poems, raps or flash fiction; visual images, artwork, photographs or memes; as well as video-based content such as TikToks, sketches, raps and songs. Airtime and vouchers are up for grabs, as well as the grand prize of a laptop for the three winners in each category! Some of your favourite local artists will be involved in judging the finalists.
The competition launches at 7pm on 5 May and entries can be submitted until 3pm on Friday 5 June. Submissions can be made through social media channels or WhatsApp. The finals run until 15 June, with winners being announced on Youth Day, Tuesday 16 June.
What are you waiting for? Enter now!
Submissions are acceptable in the following categories:
· Text-based submissions: poems, raps or flash fiction [recommended word count: 150 words; maximum word count: 200 words ].
· Visual submissions: images, artwork, photographs and memes.
· Video-based: TikToks, sketches, raps and songs [recommended time limit: 30 seconds; maximum time limit: 45 seconds].
Submit through these social media platforms – Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook – by tagging @Slam4urLife and #Slam4urLife OR via WhatsApp – follow the prompts after sending a ‘hi’ message to: 0600 54 8676!
This competition is subject to Terms and Conditions. By submitting your entry, you are agreeing to abide by them.
Terms and Conditions
By participating in the #Slam4urLife Competition, the entrant agrees to the following terms:
1. The promoter of this competition is the FunDza Literacy Trust “FunDza” and its associated partners, the Western Cape Government and the Community Chest. Any reference to FunDza includes its partners.
2. The competition is only open to individuals between the ages of 13 and 35 years who are citizens of or reside in South Africa.
3. Entrants below the age of 18 years must have the consent of a guardian in order to participate. FunDza reserves the right to request proof of the consent.
4. The consent of a guardian to the entrant’s participation includes the consent to post the entry across different social media platforms for publicity purposes.
5. By entering, the entrant acknowledges that where they are below the age of 18 years and do not have the consent of their guardian, FunDza reserves the right to disqualify them.
6. Entrants may only submit their own ORIGINAL work, although references to other creative work is allowed. FunDza may disqualify any entry it deems unoriginal.
7. Creative work should fall into the following categories:
– A text-based poem, flash fiction or rap (suggested word count: 150 words, maximum word count: 200)
– A photograph, drawn image or meme
– A video (suggested time limit: 30 seconds, maximum time limit: 45 seconds) of the entrant performing a poem, rap and/or performance
8. The entry must focus on the theme #Slam4urLife – Life with COVID-19. The entry must comment on living in a time of COVID-19 in an original way.
9. Any entry that is deemed to be vulgar or obscene or to contain discriminatory content or hate speech will be disqualified from the competition.
10. Only entries submitted via the official social media channels on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Tik-Tok at @Slam4urLife or submitted via the FunDza WhatsApp portal (0600 54 8676) will be considered valid entries.
11. Entries submitted via social media must include the @Slam4urLife tag, and the #Slam4urLife hashtag.
12. Entrants via WhatsApp must include all entry fields, including their name and cellphone number.
13. Each entrant is allowed a maximum of 8 (EIGHT) entries across all categories for the duration of the competition.
14. Entrants are responsible for ensuring that they have sufficient data or airtime and a working cellphone or computer to participate.
15. The competition is open for new submissions from 11 am on 5 May 2020 until 3 pm on Friday 5 June. During this period, all submissions will be evaluated on a weekly basis. Internal competition judges will consider all entries submitted previously up to the Friday at 3pm. The judges will announce the weekly winners on the following four Mondays:
– 18 May (for the entries submitted from 5 May to 3pm 15 May)
– 25 May (for the entries submitted from 3.01pm 15 May to 3pm 22 May)
– 1 June (for the entries submitted from 3.01pm 22 May to 3pm 29 May)
– 8 June (for the entries submitted from 3.01pm 29 May to 3pm 5 June)
There will be 9 (NINE) winners each week – three per category.
16. Weekly winners will receive R250 in airtime sent to a South Africa mobile number.
17. The internal competition judges will announce on 9 June, the top 9 (NINE) entries that will be entered into the finals of the competition.
18. The competition finals will run from 9 to 15 June. The finalists must promote their entries through social media. Influencer judges will evaluate the entries and select 3 (THREE) winners (one in each category: video, visual or text).
19. The three winners will be announced on Youth Day, 16 June 2020, through the @Slam4urLife social media channels and on the FunDza on WhatsApp portal.
20. The competition winners will each win a laptop to the value of R5000.
21. The competition finalists will each receive a gift voucher to the value of R1000.
22. The judges have the right to award discretionary prizes to other entrants to a total value of R1500.
23. The prizes are not exchangeable or transferable.
24. Winners will be notified through their social media accounts or the cellphone numbers they provided. If winners do not respond within a 24-hour period, they will forfeit their prize, and FunDza reserves the right to present this to another entrant.
25. Competition entrants agree that if selected as a winner or a runner-up they will supply FunDza with a recent photograph and other information about themselves as required for publicity purposes. The winner or runner-up may ask us, in writing, to remove their name or refuse to take part in any publicity.
26. FunDza of the competition reserves the right to publish any and all entries on the @Slam4urLife social media accounts, related sites and portals (including the fundza.mobi site and WhatsApp portal). The entrant grants FunDza an irrevocable, transferable and non-exclusive licence to enable such publishing. The purpose of the competition is to spread the message broadly through social media so sharing is encouraged.
27. FunDza’s agents, directors or employees – or members of their families – are disqualified from entering the competition.
28. By taking part in this competition, entrants agree to not hold FunDza liable for any losses, harm, damages, injury, claims or actions related to the competition. FunDza does not accept responsibility for entries that are delayed, lost or incomplete for any reason.
29. These rules can only be reasonably changed (or superseded) on a written revision to these rules posted on this page.
30. Entrants understand and agree that in order to offer the competition, FunDza must collect and use personal information about them. FunDza will only use the personal information for this purpose and for publicity.
31. The competition may be terminated immediately and without notice. If this happens, entrants will not have any claim against FunDza because of this.
32. The judges’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
33. Queries regarding the competition can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
34. South African laws govern this competition.
35. By participating in this competition, the entrant acknowledges that it has read and understood these terms and agrees to them. FunDza may disqualify an entrant from participating in this competition if the entrant fails to comply with these terms.