Write an entertaining or light-hearted description of story between 500 and 700 words inspired by one of the following topics:
My night out
My most embarrassing moment
About my neighbour(s)
Jumping to conclusions
Your aim is to tell a light-hearted story that will put a smile on readers’ faces – and perhaps even make them chuckle!
Age limits: 13-25
13-17 Junior category
18-25 Senior category
A R1000 prize will be awarded to one winner in each category.
Tips for writing:
Your story does not have to be entirely true. But do make it believable and authentic rather than over-the-top, as if it is too unbelievable you will not convince your reader, and so will lose its impact.
The most important thing for this kind of story is to SHOW and not TELL. (read more about this here )
To make your writing come alive use all your senses – what you were seeing, hearing, smelling, thinking and experiencing – so that the reader can get a clear picture of what you describe. Include details! You can read more about this here
Often using direct speech – what the writer actually says – can make your work come alive. Read more about how to punctuate it here
Make sure to structure your story or description with a beginning, middle and end.
Give your essay a unique title.
Check your work carefully for grammar, spelling or punctuation errors.
You can enter the competition here.
Terms and Conditions
1. The Promoter of this competition is The FunDza Literacy Trust (FunDza) with the registration number IT814/2011.
2. Entrants to this competition agree to abide by these Terms and Conditions.
To qualify as an entrant into this competition, you must:
* be a South African citizen or permanent resident in the Republic of South Africa;
* be between the ages of 13 (thirteen) years and 25 (twenty-five) years
* reside in the Republic of South Africa during the Competition period.
3. Entrants below the age of 18 years must have the consent of a parent/guardian/competent person in order to participate.
5. FunDza may disqualify any entry it deems unoriginal, or that contains plagiarised text.
6. Only one entry is allowed per person. Entries submitted on behalf of someone else will not be considered, and joint submissions are not allowed. Incomplete, illegible, misdirected or late entries will not be considered. The first complete entry submitted by any entrant will be deemed to be a valid entry.
7. The competition begins on 14 November 2022 and ends on 15 December 2022. All entries must be received by 23:59 (SAST) on 15 December 2022. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid.
8. No late entries will be accepted.
9. Only entries that comply with the instructions will be considered a valid entry to the competition
10. Winners will be notified after 2 January 2023 but before 7 January 2023.
11. Winners will be notified by telephone, SMS or email. If a winner DOES NOT respond within a 24-hour period, they will forfeit their prize, and the Promoter will choose a new winner by random selection from the remaining valid entries.
12. Winners will be announced publicly within 28 days of the closing date. The Promoter, acting reasonably, retains the right to delay the timing of the publication of the winners of the competition.
Each of the two category winners (13 -17) Junior and (18 to 25)Senior will receive an R1000 cash prize along with a Fundza Goody Bag.
13. The prize is not transferable and, if not taken up for any reason, may be forfeited or be the subject of a separate draw or be allocated at the Promoter’s discretion to another winner.
14. Winners may be announced on the FunDza mobi site, FreeBasics app, Moya Messenger app, FunDzApp (FunDza’s Android app), Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram LinkedIn, or any other ‘FunDza’ space.
15. Entrants agree that if they are selected as a winner, they will supply FunDza with a recent photograph and other personal information about themselves as required for publicity purposes and further consent to such photograph and personal information being published in the public domain. Winners may ask us, in writing, to remove their name or refuse to take part in any publicity.
16. This competition is not open to any director, partner, an employee of the Promoter, or members of their immediate family.
17. The Promoter will not be held liable for any technical failure that may cause your entry not to be submitted or where the Promoter does not receive your response required in terms of point 9 above.
18. The Promoter, its directors, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors assume no liability whatsoever for any indirect or consequential loss or damage arising from an entrant’s participation in this promotional competition or for any loss or damage, howsoever arising (whether arising from negligence or otherwise). The prize winner indemnifies the Promoter for any loss, damage, harm or injury (whether arising from negligence or otherwise) that may be made against the Promoter by any third party (including but not limited to suppliers or any other third parties) in connection with this promotional competition and the accompanying terms and conditions.
19. These terms and conditions can only be reasonably changed (or superseded) by us on a written revision to these terms and conditions posted on this competition page.
20. The Promoter reserves the right to terminate this competition immediately and without notice. In the event of such termination, all entrants agree to waive any rights that they may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that they will have no recourse against the Promoter
21. South African laws govern this competition.
22. Entrants understand and agree that to offer the competition, the Promoter must collect and use personal information about them.
23. By entering the competition, entrants are providing personal information via surveys. These will be analysed for research purposes, and all results will be aggregated and de-identified.
24. In the event of a dispute on any aspect of this competition or the terms and conditions hereof, the decision of the Promoter will be final and binding on all aspects of this competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
25. Any violation or attempt to violate any of the terms and conditions by an entrant will result in the immediate disqualification of the entrant.
26. All information relating to this competition and published on any promotional material will form part of the terms and conditions of entry.
27. Queries regarding the competition can be directed to email@example.com
28. By participating in this course competition, the entrant acknowledges that they have read and understood these terms and agree with them.
29. Any person who has won a FunDza competition in the last six months is disqualified from entering the competition. You will be eligible to participate in a competition promoted by us after the expiry of six months after the date on which you won the last competition.