Have you ever felt love for an inanimate object? Perhaps you love an animal, a place or an experience you’ve had. It is possible to feel an unusual love for many different things – and this is your chance to express it.
This competition calls on you to write a poem about this love using descriptive language and bold imagery. But there’s a catch: the object of your love CANNOT be a person. Are you ready for the challenge?
To qualify, you MUST:
* Write a poem of three of four verses.
* Each verse should start OR end with a different question. Eg. Why do I love you?
* Your poem must be about an object or a place or an animal or an experience that you love. NB: It CANNOT be about a person.
* Your poem should not be longer than 20 lines.
Up for grabs!
R1000 in cash and a FunDza goodie bag of delights for the top SIX entries: three in the Junior (13-20 years) and three in the Senior (21-30 years) age category. (Please note: only people aged 13 to 30 years of age living in Africa may enter this competition.)
To enter the competition:
1. Write your poem and ensure that it does comply with our criteria above.
2. Submit it in one of three ways: email to email@example.com (using the subject line: Unusual Love) or the online form HERE (NB: This takes you OFF the fundza.mobi site) or FunDza’s WhatsApp portal (text ‘hi’ to 0600 54 8676 to connect).
3. You MUST include the following information with your entry (incomplete submissions will be disqualified):
* Your full name
* Your date of birth
* Your age category
* Your telephone number
* Your email address (if you have one)
* Your country of residence
* Your own unique title for your poem
* Your poem must fit the correct format (3-4 verses, with a question in each verse, and be a maximum of 20 lines)
4. You MUST submit your entry BEFORE the closing date: MIDNIGHT on Sunday 16 August 2020. See the full Terms and Conditions below.
To do well, think about the following:
* Use descriptive language and bold unusual imagery to bring your poem to life. Try to use your senses (smell, touch, taste, sight, hearing) when describing the object of your love.
* Use emotive language to elicit a strong response from the reader. How does this thing/place/experience make you feel?
* Think about the rhythm and pacing of your poem. When you read it aloud, does each line flow into the next?
* Give your poem a unique and catchy title!
* Don’t forget to follow the instructions above.
* If your entry does not follow the required format, it will count against you.
* If there are too many spelling, grammar or punctuation errors, it will be hard for the judges to understand and enjoy your poem, so check your work carefully.
Terms and Conditions:
1. The Promoter of this competition is The FunDza Literacy Trust (FunDza) with the registration number IT814/2011 (the “Promoter”).
2. The competition is only open to individuals between the ages of 13 and 30 who live on the African continent.
3. Entrants below the age of 18 years must have the consent of a guardian in order to participate. FunDza reserves the right to request proof of the consent.
4. The consent of a guardian to the entrant’s participation includes the consent to post the entry on any FunDza platform.
5. By entering, the entrant acknowledges that where they are below the age of 18 years and do not have the consent of their guardian, FunDza reserves the right to disqualify them.
6. Entrants may only submit their own ORIGINAL and previously unpublished work. FunDza may disqualify any entry it deems unoriginal.
7. Only one entry is allowed per person. Entries submitted on behalf of someone else will not be considered and joint submissions are not allowed. Incomplete, illegible, misdirected or late entries will not be considered.
8. Only entries written mainly in English and that comply with the instructions will be considered a valid entry to the competition.
9. Any entry that is deemed to be vulgar or obscene or to contain discriminatory content or hate speech will be disqualified from the competition.
10. Only entries submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted via our online form (available here) or through FunDza’s WhatsApp platform (0600 54 8676) will be considered valid entries for the competition. If submitting via email, the subject line should be: Unusual Love
11. Entrants via WhatsApp must complete all required entry fields.
12. The competition is open for submissions from 8am on 22 July 2020 until MIDNIGHT on Sunday 16 August 2020.
13. FunDza reserves the right to publish ALL entries on its fundza.mobi site, FreeBasics app, Moya portal, Android app, Facebook pages, Twitter feed, WhatsApp portal, or any other ‘FunDza’ space, including in any print publication that it produces or has produced for it. This includes FunDza anthologies and/or corporate publications such as the Annual Report. The entrant grants FunDza an irrevocable, transferable and non-exclusive licence to enable such publishing.
14. The judges will select SIX winners for the competition: three in the Junior age category (ages 13 to 20 years); and three in the Senior age category (ages 21 to 30 years).
15. The winners in each age category will receive a cash prize of R1,000 (or, if the winner lives in another African country, then he/she will receive the equivalent amount in the local currency). If the winners reside in South Africa they will also receive a FunDza hamper of goodies.
16. The six winners will be announced by 11 September 2020.
17. Winners will be notified via email, SMS/WhatsApp or telephone call using the details they provided. If winners do not respond within a 48-hour period, they will forfeit their prize, and FunDza reserves the right to present this to another entrant.
18. Winners may be announced on the FunDza mobi site, FreeBasics app, Android app, Facebook page, Twitter, WhatsApp portal or any other FunDza space.
19. Competition entrants agree that if selected as a winner or a runner-up they will supply FunDza with a recent photograph and other information about themselves as required for publicity purposes. The winner or runner-up may ask us, in writing, to remove their name or refuse to take part in any publicity.
20. FunDza’s agents, directors or employees – or members of their families – are disqualified from entering the competition.
21. By taking part in this competition, entrants agree to not hold FunDza liable for any losses, harm, damages, injury, claims or actions related to the competition. FunDza does not accept responsibility for entries that are delayed, lost or incomplete for any reason.
22. These rules can only be reasonably changed (or superseded) on a written revision to these rules posted on this page.
23. Entrants understand and agree that in order to offer the competition, FunDza must collect and use personal information about them. FunDza will only use the personal information for this purpose and for publicity.
24. The competition may be terminated immediately and without notice. If this happens, entrants will not have any claim against FunDza because of this.
25. The judges’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
26. Queries regarding the competition can be directed to email@example.com.
27. South African laws govern this competition.
28. By participating in this competition, the entrant acknowledges that it has read and understood these terms and agrees to them. FunDza may disqualify an entrant from participating in this competition if the entrant fails to comply with these terms.