Have you had an ‘AHA!’ moment when you discovered something or realised something that changed the way you thought about yourself or your world forever? Tell us about it for this exciting AHA-filled creative writing competition! Cash prizes are up for grabs!
Choose one of these topics for your ‘AHA’ moment essay. The essay should be between 500 and 750 words in length:
* The magic of the world around me
* I could say NO!
* Everyone has their own story
* Sometimes life isn’t fair
* The clock is always ticking…
Cash prizes are up for grabs!
* R2,000 in cash for two prize winners and a goodie bag – one in the “Junior” age category (13-20 years) and one in the “Senior” age category (21-30 years).
* R1,000 and a goodie bag for two runners-up in each age category, i.e. two in the “Junior” age category (13-20 years) and two in the “Senior” age category (21-30 years).
Please note: This competition is only open to people between the ages of 13 and 30 years, who are living in Africa.
To enter the competition:
1. Write a 500-750 word essay about your ‘AHA’ moment. What was it? How did it change your life?
2. Send it to us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (using the subject line: My AHA Moment) or via this online form HERE (NB: This takes you OFF the fundza.mobi site).
3. You MUST include the following information with your entry (incomplete submissions will be disqualified):
* Your full name
* Your date of birth
* Your age category
* Your telephone number
* Your email address (if you have one)
* Your country of residence
* Your own unique title AND the essay topic (i.e. the type of AHA moment you have chosen)
* Your essay (500-750 words)
4. You MUST submit your entry BEFORE the closing date: MIDNIGHT on Thursday 6 February. See the full Terms and Conditions below.
To do well, think about the following:
* Is your essay well-structured? It should have a clear beginning (where you set the scene), and a clear picture of what is happening (write as if you are painting a picture for the reader, or making a movie of it including sights and sounds and dialogue), and some kind of conclusion.
* SHOW don’t TELL the story and use dialogue and good character descriptions to spice it up!
* Give your essay a unique and catchy title for your story!
* If there are too many grammar, spelling or punctuation errors, it will be hard for the judges to understand and enjoy your story, so check your work carefully.
* If your entry is longer than 750 words, it will count against you.
Terms and Conditions:
1. The competition is only open to individuals between the ages of 13 and 30 who live on the African continent.
2. Each entrant may only submit ONE essay.
3. Entrants may only submit their own original and previously unpublished work.
4. Only essays submitted via email to email@example.com or submitted via our online form (available here) will be considered valid entries for the competition. If submitting via email, the subject line should be: My AHA Moment
5. Only essays that are submitted with ALL the required information (name, date of birth, telephone number, email address, country of residence, the age category, the essay topic and the essay itself) will be considered a valid entry to the competition.
6. Only essays written in English (you can use vernacular language or slang for dialogue though) and that comply with the instructions will be considered a valid entry to the competition.
7. Only essays submitted before the closing date – midnight on Thursday 6 February 2020 – will be considered valid competition entries.
8. FunDza reserves the right to publish any and all entries on its mobi site, FreeBasics app, Moya portal, Android app, Facebook pages, Twitter feed, WhatsApp broadcasts, or any other ‘FunDza’ space, including in any print publication that it produces or has produced for it. This includes FunDza anthologies and/or corporate publications such as the Annual Report.
9. The judges will select TWO winners for the competition: one in the “Junior” age category (ages 13 to 20 years); and one in the “Senior” age category (ages 21 to 30 years).
10. The judges will select FOUR runners-up for the competition: two in the “Junior” age category (ages 13 to 20 years); and two in the “Senior” age category (ages 21 to 30 years).
11. The winner in each age category will receive a cash prize of R2,000 (or, if the winner lives in another African country, then he/she will receive the equivalent amount in the local currency). If the winners reside in South Africa they will receive a FunDza hamper.
12. The runners-up in each age category will receive a cash prize of R1,000 (or, if the winner lives in another African country, then he/she will receive the equivalent amount in the local currency). If the runners-up reside in South Africa they will receive a FunDza hamper.
13. The TWO winners and FOUR runners-up will be announced before 28 February 2020.
14. Winners and runners-up will be notified by telephone, SMS or email. If a winner does not respond within a 24-hour period, they will forfeit their prize, and FunDza will select a new winner.
15. Winners and runners-up may be announced on the FunDza mobi site, FreeBasics app, Android app, Facebook page, Twitter or any other ‘FunDza’ space.
16. Competition entrants agree that if they are selected as a winner or as a runner-up, they will supply FunDza with a recent photograph and other information about themselves as required for publicity purposes. Winners and runners-up, who do not do so, will forfeit their prize.
17. Employees of FunDza – or members of their families – are disqualified from entering the competition.
18. By taking part in this competition, entrants agree to not hold FunDza liable for any losses, harm, damages, injury, claims or actions related to the competition.
19. These rules can only be reasonably changed (or superseded) by us on a written revision to these rules posted on this competition page.
20. South African laws govern this competition.
21. Entrants understand and agree that in order to offer the competition, FunDza must collect and use personal information about them.
22. The competition may be terminated immediately and without notice. If this happens, entrants will not have any claim against FunDza, because of this.
23. The judges’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
24. Queries regarding the competition can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
25. By participating in this competition, the entrant agrees to these terms and conditions.