Search

Blog

National Apology Day

24 August 2015 | 15 Comments

Independent women

18 August 2015 | 15 Comments

Out with the old, in with the new!

27 July 2015 | 10 Comments

Ghetto Rough

13 July 2015 | 4 Comments

Pay back the money?

04 August 2015 | 27 Comments

First of all, let me take the time to say: welcome to South African politics!

Welcome to the land where our president has been accused of so many different things, on so many occasions, that he probably gets angry if he wakes up in the morning and his name isn’t mentioned in the news somehow.

Welcome to #Nkandla; #FirePool; #Nkandla-Gate; and last, but not least, #PayBackTheMoney.

I don’t know how many times I’ve heard about this story on TV, from the radio and all sorts of newspapers. The political parties all say the same thing: “pay back the money!”; “pay back the two-hundred million, Jacob Zuma!”

The sad thing is that I haven’t heard enough ordinary South Africans like you and me, give their opinions on this topic. Yes, I’ve heard about radio and TV shows, interviewing people, but where are the heated discussions in the trains, taxis and busses? I just haven’t heard enough of those. Maybe it’s because some of us feel that those in power don’t care about whatever we have to say. Or maybe it’s because we just don’t care enough to even express an opinion. Either way, something needs to be done. Something needs to be started.

I was watching the news this morning and I found out that even Mac Maharaj, the guy who was working closely with our president, told a newspaper in London that the president should at least pay back some of the money. I agree. Our president is not a billionaire so I’m not saying he should pay back everything.

All I’m saying is that if you ask me to work at your house and fix the windows for your safety and I choose to also fix the roof, doors and lawn, then someone has to pay. Surely someone has to, especially if we hear you saying that you would’ve fixed the roof, doors and lawn with your own money and you didn’t need me to fix it. So why don’t you just use that money you were going to use and pay back at least some of the money I used to fix your roof, doors and lawn?

That’s the question I’ve heard people asking about this Nkandla thing.

Jacob Zuma said in parliament that he planned to fix his house with his own money, but that the government told him to stop and used our money to pay for it instead. So here’s my question to our president: why not just take the money you were going to use to fix Nkandla and pay back some of that two-hundred million that the media has been going crazy over?

If I had a chance to ask our president these questions I already know what he would say. He’d tell me that the Minister of Police said he doesn’t have to pay back a cent and that, for him, would be the end of the story.

But what do you say?

#ChatBack: Is the whole Nkandla debate a waste of time, because our president deserves to live like a super-rich king?

Or does he owe us at least some of the money back?

What do you think?

Hit me on Facebook also: What’s poppin’ eKasi, would love to hear your comment.

27 Responses

1. The president has betrayed most of us I agree. But I dont think we should be using the phrase ‘payback the money’ since he doesnt owe us a cent…proven by those in authority!
    #Amahle opposes you.

Ortho.Masondo
    25 Mar 2017 at 06:25
  2. My comment Mr President still the state money that all

Mbulelo
    24 Feb 2017 at 20:34
  3. He must pay atleast half of the state money that he used to build the house that’s all i can say.

aya and
    19 Nov 2016 at 07:34
  4. well, this makes things really hard for those who wake up to a country where justice has failed the ordinary people on the ground because first of all; I really don’t think that a man who has been accused of so many things should have been our president because he was proven innocent. The fact remains that he hasn’t been good from Day1.
    I mean why is it that the very first time I noticed him was on T.V when he was in trouble with the law??😕
    not saying he was guilty, but that’s not a good introduction especially for a person who was running for president… I am not pointing fingers but then I feel like its not only the law that has failed us but also the ANC for not being able to be real leaders by standing up for what’s right.

Anyway.. I think Mr President should at least pay back a few rands that would just meet the citizens halfway because I know for a fact that all those who are eager to get the presidential seat will also use the money to create self wealth and literally forget about us.

Lebogang
    28 Aug 2016 at 15:50
  5. We have to leave him because what is gone is gone to bring it back it will never help

KELETSI
    21 Jul 2016 at 07:10
    • you cannot say that what he did was right because he is not poor and he used the money that many citizens needed for himself. which is very selfish of him.

Lebogang
      28 Aug 2016 at 15:54
  6. Zuma is ryt u can’t always check on ur country’s people he must also get a chance to fix his staff

Athenkosi
    5 Jul 2016 at 01:56
  7. This #PayBackTheMoney song just tires the hell outa me..because as much as the song is sang the president just sways it outa the way like it isnt directed to him. Our government needs new leadership..educated leadership..young people with fresh inovative ideas to take this country to

Perpetua+Khwinana
    9 Oct 2015 at 19:15
  8. Lolz he wnt pay coz by doing so he will b agreeing 2 da crime hes accused of

ff5000*...Zazicious*
    15 Aug 2015 at 14:57
  9. This venting is futile! Voicing out our opinions on this is even way more futile beyond comprehension. I know this may sound negative and rather whatnot, but let’s be realistic now. Too many parties were involved in making those upgrades, and the president included, it’s his homestead after all – it’s total BS of him to say he wasn’t aware of the expenditure. But my point is with so many parties involved and the corrupt nature of our leaders, an opportunity to pocket some money presented itself and evidently our leaders helped themselves handsomely. The Nkandla homestead doesn’t really look like a compound worth R243m c’mon people really?? I mean even with all those bulletproof windows and whatnot still R243m is an awful lot of money?! The media and the government fed us hogwash right there. But like I said, voicing our opinions is futile. These corrupt leaders are the same people supposed to rectify the same blunders they made, does that make sense? To me it doesn’t but Hey Sicelo dawg, don’t be such a do-gooder please, give us a break! Encouraging us to be active in these politics isn’t doing us no good and I’m certain it isn’t doing you any good either. It isn’t like having an opinion matters, is it? If it did then we’d be living in a Paradise-like country. (G) Get Real! This is South F*&# Africa, where corruption is taken as a valueable attribute in parliament and will be defended at all costs! Remember what Nomvula Mok-whatever said last year? She’s prepared to ‘fight and shield’ the president with her ass if needs be, and by ‘fight and shield’ she meant precisely that coz she’s in too onto the Gravy train! (G)

FuktUpKid0733396020